Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Comida-not-so-tipica



Empanadas y cafe con leche, antes

A good friend once told me that he had never seen me turn down food. Luckily for me, (thanks to my non discriminatory tastes buds) even if I don’t understand exactly what it is that I’m ordering, there is a very good chance that I will be in love with it...




Empanadas y cafe con leche, despues


...That's what I though until I tried my first parrilla. Buenos Aires dining is known for parrilla, what I thought was basically a wide array of delicous barbecued meat. But when I sliced into what I assumed was a tasty chorizo sausage, the piece of meat deflated revealing it’s true identity: morcilla. A sausage shell full of cow blood and fat. Along with that came chinchullines (small intestines) and mojellas (other nasty organs). What I expected was going to be the finest cuts of meats, turned out to be random cow organs. Yum.



Parrilla!

I pride myself in being a daring eater. I'll try any food that is non life threatening at least once. As for this type of parrilla, I think once will be enough. Although they do say that blood sausage takes an acquired taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment