Monday, June 7, 2010

Are we there yet?

Viernes 4/6/10

I was woken up Friday morning by the bus attendant putting a plate of 5 pieces of bread on my lap for breakfast. We broke up the drive to Iguazu by making a few stops along the way. We left the double decker bus and met up with the group of other International Study Abroad students on a smaller. There were about 40 of us, all americans, hailing from everywhere from New York to Texas.

The first stop was at las Ruinas de San Ignacio. This was a completely different side of Argentina than what I was used to. No city, no smog, no pavement. The ruins date back to the 1600s.


Las Ruinas de San Ignacio

From the ruins we headed to La Chacra. La Chacra was like more of an expensive ranch than a farm. We had FRIED empanadas to start. Fresh orange juice, salad and yucca (I have been vegatable deprived for the last 3 weeks) and tons of delicious steak.

After dinner we hiked past fields of mate plants and to the factory where they dry and chop the mate leaves to prepare them for drinking. I tried mate once again and finished my cup like a true Argentine.

From there, it was back on the bus for another 5 hours (long enough to watch Avatar with Spanish subtitles). We arrived at hotel around 20:00. It was a very nice hotel. I was just happy that we had toilet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment