Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kelsey Diaz and the semester abroad...



LAN flight 4541 to Buenos Aires, Argentina took off the ground at 8:54 p.m. on Friday, May 14th, although I felt like I had been in Latin America from the moment I stepped foot inside MIA. Everyone in the baggage check line was speaking Spanish or Portuguese and when I finally reached the counter the combination of my first and last name seemed to confuse the attendee. Why my parents decided to give me a name that is virtually unpronounceable to Spanish speakers is beyond me. My dad, who is a less than stereotypical Cuban says he had no say when my mom chose Kelsey, an Irish first name. When I say less than stereotypical I’m referring to the fact that my dad doesn’t Salsa dance, doesn’t smoke cigars and despite my childhood fantasies, he is not Ricky Ricardo. “An Irish first name and a Cuban last name,” he says, “you’re Cubish.” Gotta love dad humor. Guess I’m going to have to settle with being called Kale-say for the next six weeks. I think I’ll survive...

1 comment:

  1. Jaja! Muy buena entrada primera. Sigue blogeando regularmente, por favor!

    ReplyDelete